Saturday, March 6, 2010

Camping Camping Camping

Most of you who know me, know that I love...or better yet, that I adore camping. Mountains, flatlands, bbq, grill, jiffy pop, extra socks. (Granted, I don't like rain days much - because they're cold and there isn't much that I hate more than being cold). Anyway. Here I've had the opportunity to join with a group of couch surfers and go camping in the desert! I had an experience with camping while galavanting around Egypt this past June, however this time was different because there was no guide, and no one cooked my dinner for me and set up my camp.

I met the couch surfers, most of whom I'd never met, and some of whom I had enjoyed the company of only once, in a parking lot of a local grocery store. After final shopping and grabbing of supplies, and, waiting for people who were late; our two o'clock departure finally got going around 3pm. I drove with a guy who is the acting department head for couch durfing in Abu Dhabi group, so, I think I was in good hands as we led the 13 car caravan. Unfortunatley, with as many people as we had, we ended up stopping numerous times and didn't actually reach camp until roughly 6pm (let me tell you, the distance was not that far! It could have taken an hour and a half).

Anyway, we got to camp and I didn't have a tent so, I asked a person randomly if there was room in his tent, and luckily there was. Unfortunatley, I was the only other person in his tent. It could have made for an awkward night. Good thing I'm pretty stand-off-ish when needed. I don't think he got the "go" message from me as he didn't try anything (and I was told afterwards that his typical behaviour is indeed to enjoy female company to the enth degree). My parents taught me well! Anyway, I was glad to have been in a tent at all because though I might have enjoyed looking at the stars all night, the biggest problem was that in March it still gets really cold at night, and I needed all of the shelter I could get.

The group turned out to be most friendly and accomodating, and my favorite characteristic - accepting. It didn't matter how annoying someone was, or where they were from, or what strange techniques they might have learned for cooking things, they were accepted no matter what by the whole group. I can really respect this group of people because of that and I hope to spend more time with them in the future. They do have plenty more camping trips planned, but no longer to the desert. Possibly to the beach near where the dolphins roll, and possibly to the mountains of Oman, which I may or may not beable to partake in depending on their verdict about my Isralie passport stamp. Anyway, I'm looking forward to future events.

As far as the camping went. It was lovely. The fire was hot, the food was good (though, when in the desert, it's almost impossible to keep food sand-free) and I ended up eating a great deal of sand throughout the evening. Everyone just set up a tent wherever in the desert, and we all ended up peeing wherever there was a space where no one could see you. It was partially barbaric, and mostly wonderful. I specifically enjoyed when a small group of men from India brought out congas and a guitar and we had a sing-a-long. The funniest part was that no on knew the same songs because of all of our backgrounds and we resorted at times to melodies such as twinkle twinkle little star and happy birthday. Sad. Otherwise, it went very well with a few harmonies, and a few classics thrown in. There was even a little salsa dancing.

The desert itself is lovely. Full of soft, rolling sand dunes. The sand is white for the most part, with some lighter weight red sand all the way from Oman resting on the top in waves. It made a really nice two tone effect. At the beginning of the evening, the stars were out in full, but the moon wasn't visable yet. I told a couple of guys that the moon will come in the middle of the night and it will take over the sky. They laughed at me like I was crazy (which I guess if the roles were reversed, I may have too). Anyway sure enough, around 1am, all of a sudden you could see the moon high in the sky. I did get a few humbled appologies afterward.

It was a really nice event overall. I think everyone should get a chance to camp in a desert, it's so peaceful, still and quiet.

Other than that, my life has set into a bit of a healthy routine. I enjoy weekly volleyball on the beach by the gulf. I do Beauty and the Beast rehearsal twice a week, which I look forward to. I do bootcamp before work three days a week, and they've just added a Friday morning class so i'll do that as well. And, Belly dancing twice a week. Belly dancing is a new addition, and involves using muscles I didn't know I was supposed to use for anything. It's mostly just for fun, however, I think the art of belly dancing could come in handy someday...it's amazing how random skills come back when you need them.

I've all but given up on learning Arabic as it's so senseless because I can get around so well without it, and with all of my activity, plus having energy to teach little Kids and plan for school, and with this month being for assessments and report cards, I just don't see how I can have the energy. So, maybe I'll pick it up again sometime. I'm getting random words all the time anyway.

We have been in contact with our housing agent from Hong Kong and it looks fairly promising that we'll get everything we are hoping for with our new place. I'm excited about it all. To make home sweet home once again. We plan to ship all of our stuff from here on the 10th of June, and then I"ll probably ship a few things from home that I didn't have this year as well. I guess everything is getting solidified.

Back to Abu Dhabi: I was thinking the other day about how things here are now totally normal for me if I don't think to carefully about them. Like, how a magazine costs 20CAN dollars, or how we don't recycle anymore. How I have to purchase water in bottles. How cars are pink and if you are in the way, people honk or flash their brights at you. I am used to the impatience, though I still hate it. I just let everyone go ahead...it doesn't upset me anymore. I don't realize when I see a pink car, or a police officer not doing anything, or a man walking around with a sheet wrapped around his waist like a skirt. Blocked websites, links, screened calls and emails. small motorcycles with thermos boxes on the back with take-out orders zipping through the already hectic traffic. internet not working. Not having anything convinient closer than a 20 minute car ride. Realizing a difference in my cost/value ratio system. It's really unusual how I find nothing unusual anymore. I wonder if I'll be shocked by anything in Hong Kong, or if I'll realize how weird things have been in my life when I get back home...or if I"ll find weird things at home too.

While, I will consider my new life perspective some more. Enjoy your day, be blessed, and go camping!!!

Missing you all.

Talia

1 comment:

  1. I have a confession: I find myself living vicariously through your posts. Your adventures sound wonderful. They inspire me to do much the same in the near future.

    ReplyDelete