Sunday, May 30, 2010

counting down the days

So, I'm down to about 24 days in the country of Abu Dhabi. Part of me feels like I've finally found out how to live here comfortably, and so it's bitter sweet as I know that next year, I'll have to go through the turmoil of not knowing how to get there, not knowing what to eat or where to shop, making new friends, finding new hobbies, and this time, also finding a house and some furniture...I'm daunted, and so leaving here feels bittersweet.

On the "sweet" side though, I am going to see the beautiful smiling faces of my beloved friends and family, and nothing that ABu Dhabi or Dubai has to offer is better than that.

Anyway, This past couple of weeks I've been kept busy with school, obviously report cards, assessments, packing up the classroom/and home for our shippers, who will bring everything to Hong Kong, and an assortment of other things, however, this business did not detract me from having fun!

So Friday of Last weekend, I was able to sing in a concert with my sweet Accepella choir. Voices of Harmony (the groups name) sang about a thurd of the music from a 4 group concert...all of whom sang sans music. Congrats to everyone who pulled off such a brilliant night of harmonies and true form singing. I am proud to be able to stand alongside such fabulous musicians.

Also last weekend, directly after the concert... several of the girls form beauty and the beast were invited to the Rugby Ball! It was basically an occasion to dress up in style and dance! Of course, events like there here are always very high end, and so the 5 course meal was only the tip of the ice berg. There were people there wearing the most fabulous of gowns (not like Arabic wedding gowns, which are by far the most extravagant things you've ever seen), they were full of sequens, some wer tight, some were belled out at the bottom. It was smashing! The DJ was fantastic and played song after song that we could all sing to. As the Rugby team is made up of several New Zealanders, they even did a special show just for them. The best part about the night, aside from the Batak game (which is conceptually a lot like whack-a-mole), the 5 course meal, the dancing, and the company, was that I got in free! A friend of mine and I had been singing in the concert and came late as a result. Walking in late was awesome, because everyone thought we'd always been there, and no one asked us to buy a ticket...hence, a 400dhs (125 CAN) evening was FREE!

Well, that night went on right until 4am, and I laid my head in my pillow as the 4:15 call to prayer began waking people up to pray for that new day.

The following week left me with very little to do, except go out for movies...which I love! I watched Robin Hood and Iron Man II, both really sweet films. I haven't been to a good film in a long while and so I'm glad I had a chance to do it.

This past weekend Alicia and Sherry (my bootcamp buddy) and I went on an adventure through Dubai. WE began at the Madinat Jumeriah resort...where there is a really nice souk, with fairly high end but pricey stuff...and I bought you ALL local chocolates there...called Pacci, and they are by far (other than lindor truffles) some of the best chocolates that you'll have. Made right in Dubai!

Second stop, a shopping/,arket district called Kamara. In this area (and I don't know why I didn't know before), there are stores that sell high end bags, and watches and wallets...of course, they're all knockoffs...BUT, if you ask them if they have "more", they'll take you either upstairs in some other random shop or they'll take you to a secret location in some parkade, and you think you might be running into something sketchy and under the table (which you are). But, then loe and behold...there will be fabulous bags!!! All set up nicely in the midst of gross chaos. There are more bags and brands and styles than you know what to do with, and all are full names. Granted, they're still all fake. BUT, they are really nice fakes! Like the best ever. I am seriously considering buying a chloe bag...but it's still expensive for a bag. However, significantly less than the real thing, and by far the best knockoffs I've ever seen. It's like bag heaven. IF you like bags, and want one...let me know!

Finally, we came to the blue souk. It's an older souk, in an emirate called Sharja which is basically joined with Dubai. Sharja is the most traditional emirate, and the only dry one. In Sharja they do random checks to see if two unwed people are living together, and if you're caught without a marriage certificate, it's off to jail with you!!!

Anyway, in this souk, we have a pashmina guy, and we have a jewelery guy, and we have a knick knack guy. Because I bought everyone stuff for Christmas, I didn't really get anything for the folks at home, except the sweet pacci Chocolate! but, I wish you had all come to visit because you can get some ridiculously great scarves for ridiculously great prices. And our guy is really honest, so he'll tell you if it'll run (colours), or if it'll hold, and where the qulity comes in, and what the prices are straight up...no bartering needed. But, if you buy a bunch, he'll just drop the price anyway. Nice guy that pashmina guy.

Anyway, in the upcoming weekend I have the salsa festival planned in Dubai, hopefully I'll have a chance to go to Wild Wadi, the Ice cafe, and a couple other spots, and then there is a group trip to Hatta (which is a beautiful part of the Abu Dhabi emirate, right by oman.) I'm thinking i'll be a full weekend, and I can't wait to take part!

Anyway, that's it from me. Catch you sooner than later!!

T

No comments:

Post a Comment