Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Racing, Red, Christmas, and thrilllessness

The Races:

Way way back, during the weekend of November 30-December 1st, (also known as American Thanksgiving), two friends and I flew from our cozy set up in Singapore to the beauteous Siem Reap, Cambodia to run in my third, and their first half marathon.
Can you think of a better way to run 21Km than to do it around the most historical and beautiful temples around?  Stone work starting from the 10th and 11th centuries, elephants, beautiful children lining the roads to get a high five from the likes of us? 
Unbelievable.

During this trip, we also did a fish spa where we were serenaded by a young entrepreneur who wanted to go to University to become a businessman.  He played us the 3 songs that he knew while little fishes nibbled dry skin off of our feet.

We went back to markets and bought more things (many that we didn't need at all).  I stopped at all of the fair trade locations and bought gifts.  Fair trade is my thing... especially when it comes to Cambodia.

The first day we were there, we also woke up at 4 in the morning (which was really 3... our clocks were off), and meandered via tuk tuk through the near empty streets all the way to the temples to watch the sun rise over Angkor Wat.  Amazing.  Breathtaking. 
We were early enough to get a fantastic seat and watch the whole thing.  Peaceful moments like these are what make teaching bearable I think.

As for the race, I did not do as well as my first as far as time, but I did do FAR better than my second.  I felt it was a great way to retire from long distance running, as my poor knees just can't hack it.  I think I'll stick to shorter races and sprints, but I have to say that running around Angkor Wat and giving high fives to children who are so blissfully happy and enthusiastic despite owning only a pair of pajama bottoms for personal cover... it's a memorable way to end.  I feel I'm quitting while I'm ahead on this one.







After we got back from Angkor Wat and immediately signed up for a second race.  But it wasn't a race I thought it would be. 
It was a 5Km obstacle race.  How hard could 5 K be?

So, I usually run a 5 K in about a half hour, maybe a bit over.  BUT, this race took me over 1.5 hrs!  There was a tire to be carried, some poorly labeled "deep water" that I literally fell into and almost caught dengue fever when I cut my hand in the swamp water, a climbing wall, a mud crawl, a forest full of mud puddles... and the worst of the worst: an ice plunge... which was basically a big shipping crate full of ice cubes.  Not ice water... full on full to my chest with Ice Cubes.  I could barely crawl out.  I wanted to die.  In the ten seconds it took me to speedily cross the container, I already thought  my legs would get frostbite and burn off.  For one who fled Canada because of the cold, you can imagine that this was torture.  But, I finished!  Mud and all.  And because my pals and I were doing it just for fun, we waited and crossed the finish line together.  I have quite a few pictures of the event, but they're all on Facebook as they were taken on Sharon's phone, not mine.  The one picture that I have is horrible... but here it is anyway:




So, Post races, I also performed in a Christmas Pantomime which kept me busy throughout the fall.  I played Little Red Riding hood and we performed for the fancy international expat clubs in the city.  It was interactive, but audiences were quite small so it was a different experience than my last Panto in Hong Kong.

I made some good connections and friends, though I am not sure that I will do many more shows with them, at least until I have a scooter.  Transport out was really far and rehearsals went late, so I was tired a lot.  However, it's good to network, and I always enjoy performing.  I wish there were more places to perform here.  There really isn't a lot of theatre at all.  It was a bit of a surprise for me!



December went by quickly, what with only two weeks of school, a visit from an old friend, and a 25 hour journey home.   There was a staff Christmas Party in there too I think!


Reagan and her BF Max came the weekend before I left and we did some really chill exploring of Singapore.  We ate some good food and had an adventure just outside a mall of all places.  Most importantly, we introduced Max to Dairy Queen!  There are a few here in Singers, and Rea and I are positive we did the right thing by showing him the magic of a blizzard.

I made and decorated some GF sugar cookies and I feel that as my only Christmassy effort in Singapore this year, it was a good one to commit to.




I was lucky enough to fly home for this holiday.  It was great to see everyone around a Christmas tree and eat festive meals with family.  I generally miss out on festivities and we have to pretend that the summers are festive.  This was a pleasant change, and though I will not do it often, I will do it again.  I adore my family and I am looking forward to more holiday baking, building of snowmen, and ridiculous sales on summer clothing!

One highlight of the trip, besides the amazing family time, was hanging out with Beth and her husband Carmen in Banff.  I feel a road trip to the mountains is a must in every trip, and having come in the winter made for some absolutely amazing scenery's to take in.

Otherwise, baking with my sister in law, recording some pieces for my Dad's blues album, and family time with all my fav's were notable favourite moments.







That brings us to January.

January has to be the fastest month!  I only worked for 3 or 4 weeks but I am exhausted.  Happy that Chinese New Year is here!
I don't think I did anything to note in all of January.  I celebrated Australia Day with a school friend, I started a detox and Juice Fast, and I started doing Yoga.
It makes me sound really lame to discuss January.  Let's hold on and wait for a better update in February?

Catch you later peeps.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment