Monday, January 10, 2011

Lovely Singapore!









This is sort of part two of my trip, but really should be listed as part one, as we went to Singapore first.

I would like to begin by saying that I absolutely love singapore! I love it. It is trendy, modern, has a bit of history, is completely urban, uses English as it's primary language...but best of all, and this is what I've been missing so dearly here in Hong Kong and last year in the desert... Singapore has trees and park land with real grass that you can touch!

Here you can't touch grass, but you can admire it on a cement walkway behind a fence. In Singapore, I saw dogs running and chasing balls, people on the grass with picnics and books, and children actually frolicking! It is a paradise. It is also the next place that I will be applying should I decide to continue teaching, and decide that I still can't afford to go back to school..etc.

Best of all, and most importantly, it is a city where my darling family is! The Schmidts, my mom's brother, his wife, and their two children, live in the city and have for over 6 years. Before this placement they were in Shanghi, but now for them, Singapore is home. I can see why. It is safe, clean, and has everything you'd ever need.

My three friends, Gloria, Rebecca, and Teresa (all from Toronto area, and all teaching at my school for this year and next at minimum) accompanied me and we spent a chalk full three days with these wonderful hosts. We were lucky enough to get to go to the banana leaf restaraunt, which is a MUST SEE to anyone who ever gets out to Singapore. We went to the zoo, the night safari (which are the best in the world by far), and we did a little extra sight seeing and touring around, and a wee bit of shopping! We (I ate one bite, but the girls tried more) ate sting ray, and saw little India, well, part of it. We enjoyed spending extra time with Christina and Garrett, whom I almost never get to see. Time flies sometimes.

My favorite part was Christmas dinner, which Lorne and Hiede were gracious enough to make a day or two early for us (we left for malaysia on the 24th). It was a full and gourmet Christmas dinner with all the fixings! Ham, glazed sweet potatoes, awesome salad...delicious!
my friends all came from a chinese background, and they maintain that their favourite part was breaking the crackers at the start of the meal! I guess it's not a Chinese tradition. They were the cause of some decent entertainment...those jokes; real knee slappers!

I hope that I can reply the hospitality someday...it was such a blessing to me to be with family over the holiday. I think I'll try to join them again next year, and, see Singapore (if they stay in asia that is...no pressure, do what your heart desires!)


Anyway, that was the holiday. It was a very merry, but humid and warm (over 25) season!!!

love you all.
Talia

No comments:

Post a Comment