Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I'm feeling much better thank-you.

Hello Blogger friends!

So, last week, when I was saying that I was coming down with something...well, it turns out that I had none other than the full on flu. Who knew? So, anyway, I felt just awful on the second day of school, Monday, and I couldn't even deal. Got through the day, and I feel like I went right to bed. Then, the next morning, we didn't have classes because it was parent teacher interviews, which I thought was going to be an easier day. And it was. Actually, all of my parents are really chill and down to earth. No one pelted me with questions that were unnecessary. A lot of potential things were looked at, and because it's so early in the year, I didn't have a lot in terms of assessment to work with, so, I had written some basic casual write-up's just so I didn't lose my train of thought. So, anyway, in the end, the day wasn't too bad, but I was sniffling, coughing, feverish, had the chills, and all I wanted to do was lay in bed and moan...but, I am a Kindergarten teacher...and the show must go on! So, I got through all of the parents for that day – which went until about 7:30 in the evening. Shortly after my last parent, I felt so ill, that I just laid down on my kiddy carpet for about an hour as everyone else was finishing up. Before I left, I had a moment of nausea, and I was dizzy, and I almost fell right over. I was sweating, and pale, and the vice principle saw me and basically told me not to come in the next day. I almost went to the hospital, but the usual one I go to is only open during day time hours. So, I just got home and went right to bed. Thankfully that night was the worst. I woke up feeling quite a bit better, and took the day to do to rest and go to the doctor. I did miss a few parent teacher interviews that day as well, and, what's more, is that I had to go to the embassy that afternoon but didn't end up making it. So, I am not sure when that will happen, but it'll have to eventually.

Anyway, aside from that crazy sick day, it wasn't all that bad, and now I'm feeling much better. I can't say I'm 100% yet, but I can say that I don't feel like I want to die anymore, which is nice.

I've been driving a wee bit more. I had thought that having a car would provide ultimate freedom, and it generally does, except that driving here makes me so nervous. I appreciate how I don't even think about driving when I'm home, and how easy it is when everyone follows the rules. I do not appreciate driving in this country, where no matter how common sense a rule really is, it isn't generally followed at all. Traffic circles are all over here because people are afraid of left hand turns (ha ha ha is all I have to say to that). Anyway, it's one thing to have a traffic circle where there are two lanes, and the outside lanes mean you take the first exit, and the inside lanes mean you take any other...well, here, the circles enter with three lanes, and exit with two. What do you think that means? And, there are people who frequently stop right in the middle of them to hang out on the side of the road, which is complete idiocy, and completely common. Speed here is relative. I feel like I'm going fast at 120...well, that's just baby steps compared to some, and for tickets, you just pay them all when you re register your car, so you have no way of knowing what you owe in the immediate. Cops never pull you over, and you can go at least 20 K over the speed limit without any penalty at all. As far as paying tickets. Something that might seem expensive to you or I, is piddly change for some of these guys, and so, it is good practice to look in your rear view mirror all the time. If you miss a couple of seconds, someone could be speeding up on your tail. And they get so very close to your rear, you might as well be dating.

Well, driving is certainly something that I'm working on, and every once in a while I get a burst of bravery and feel like I can go just a little further. I still have yet to drive directly in Abu Dhabi, let alone Dubai. But, I guess I'll have to eventually so that I don't miss out on doing cool stuff.

Caitlin, Steve, Alicia, and myself have started going to the only Evangelical church here. It's called ECC, and so far it's pretty cool. The people are really organized. We went to a new person luncheon, and they had packets of information ready for every new person. I'm guessing that there are new people every single Sunday, and a lot of turnover in ministry. There is a young adult group, but I'm nervous about going to it because I'd have to drive far into the middle of downtown in the dark. Perhaps I'll try getting there during the day sometime, and then soon enough I can make it there in the dark. Baby steps. Baby steps in deed. Anyway, I said I may like to volunteer with singing, and other areas, and there were people getting back to me within days. I'm really impressed with their organization, and with the way that they are focused on helping people get settled and fit in – to their church, and into Abu Dhabi. The church has a whole huge mix of people groups, and ethnicities which is awesome, and tons of the people there will greet you with “I would like to greet you today in the name of Christ my sister”. Which is nice. The song selection from worship is about a 20 year range. From as the deer to indescribable. They cover it all so no one feels left out, as everyone is coming from a different background. Most of the songs I know, but not all, but almost everything is fairly old to me. Minimum 5 years. They are really into small groups, and fellowship, and are also willing to try new things. This past Sunday they did a break up of the service where the pastor would give a point, then we'd sing a song, then another point, and another song, and so on. I thought it was good that they were breaking out of the conventional, even in that basic way. Regardless of my thoughts though, there is only one church that isn't Catholic or Anglican, and so, I will go to it. I'd really like to make it to young adults though.

I wish I could think of a funny story that happened today, but, alas, my students aren't always very funny. They're not really that type, which is strange that they ended up as my class. I do have two that are planning to get married when they grow up, and one who cannot, no matter what understand the concept of a question, and instead, when put on the spot, after holding up his hand forever, will proceed to tell me about how he has super powers. It's all very interesting. Another child often says the phrase “uh oh” which, when we see it, is truly hilarious, but you really have to be there. Another often mis phrases words. When you say to another child “you may read a book now”, this one will pipe in “yep, and even me!”. Which makes no sense at all. Anyway, mostly, we're just doing regular classroom stuff, though, I am attempting paper mache this week which is either a horrible idea, or a brilliant idea, and I will let you know of the progress.

So, that is all for this update. I hope you feel like you're here with me, and you didn't miss any of my fun adventure. As always I miss everyone dearly. Hoping to see you all soon.

Kisses and hugs.

Talia

No comments:

Post a Comment