Monday, August 31, 2009

Transitions

So. I've had two days of school and tomorrow is my third. Staggered entry, so I've actually only met 8 of my 17 children. Some are pretty well on par, and some, are not. It's going to be an interesting year for my students. One of them is the tiniest 5 year old alive. Seriously. And, a couple of them are not ready for learning yet, and still only want to play, so we'll have to make fun lessons for them! Who knows.

Parents all seem really ok for now. Obviously, from now on, talk of parents and students alike will remain positive, as this is an internet website. But, from what I can tell, it'll actually be ok.

So, the first day of school was a little shaky. I knew what I was doing, but I didn't do it very well. I was one step behind on a lot of things, like washing hands before we ate, as opposed to after, and figuring out where the line up started. I wondered for a moment how I was to finish a whole ten month school year. It wasn't a disaster, but the group of children were less interested in the functions of the classroom as well. However, day two, the second group of students came in, and I was right on top of things, I said things well, I was a step ahead, and I feel like the routine was properly set out (now, just for the practicing of said routine). One student cried today. I felt kind of bad. But, it's not the worst thing that can happen after a whole summer at home with just mummy and he.

So, after work, it's nice to go home and take a short nap before the evening begins. It's so hot here that you almost need to nap to make it through, except that today, instead of napping, I was busy packing my bags...yes, tomorrow we are leaving this blessed hotel, and heading into the middle of the hot, sandy, empty desert, effectionatley known my locals as the "sand pit".

Some of the new apartments are singles, and others doubles. I'll be sharing with Alicia, who was in my teaching program, and I think we're both excited about being able to be comfortable with each other before we start sharing a home. We went to IKEA today to look for decorating ideas.

So, out in the "sand pit", we will have no internet...at least not for a while. We need a VISA to get it started, plus, weeks and weeks for them to actually get the work done. A few of us figure that we can "borrow" the wireless signals from the returning teachers, who have graciously agreed to the arrangement, though, we can't promise anything. Last year, the net wasn't set up until February! We do have some at the school, but it's not like you can do all of your catching up there. Short emails maybe. But nothing big.

Anyway, we also won't have addresses, and no access to buses, though, taxi's can be called. A few of us are on the lookout for a good car rental place here, with a good insurance policy (vital!). We'll all pitch in, so hopefully sooner than later we'll have wheels. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until someone wants to drive us into town to do anything fun. Within walking distance there is....desert. That's all. A ten minute drive brings you to a gas station. Sweet!!! At least there is a lot of room to run, so when the weather cools off, it'll be sweet.

Speaking of running, assuming my knee finally feels rested ( I've rested it, but every time I try and run, it get's tired really quickly, so it's not fully healed yet), some of the other girls and myself are joining a half marathon relay! So, I'll run 5 of the 20 or so K and then pass the baton to the next girl. I have no plan to win, but finish I shall! I'm excited about it. It should be in February or March I think.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you all know I will try my best to be on, but no promises for a while. Cheers all. Love you dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment