Thursday, May 7, 2009

Belfast (North Ireland)

So, it's been a few days. We had a mostly lovely time in North Ireland. It is beautiful. The greenest place you can imagine. Green with bushes and lush lush green grass. It's also very rainy....and it seems that the country itself hates me. Not the people, but the country. I'll explain.

So, the first day we went and watched some killed traditional Celtic dancing and ate some nice snacks, and then we all went to the house of a lovely Indian woman to eat some kick butt curry chicken. It was all very nice. She was super sweet, and wanted to know all about us. Tash, the girl we were here to see, was a nice host and hooked us up with the meal. Thanks. She also convinced her roommate to change rooms so we could sleep in her double bed. How very kind, and we appreciate her for the sacrifice.

So, day two, we went to Tash's church, which seems a little slower than what I'm used to for sure, but it was full of tremendously friendly people, and we were happy to meet them all. Most wanted to share their own Canadian experiences with us, and so we all had a little bit of common ground to speak about.

Later that day, We went camping. The afternoon was fantastic and I couldn't have been happier! The rolling green hills and small stone fences (which separate grazing land) were picturesque to be sure, and the pictures we got were awesome. Camping in Ireland is way different than here. They don't do it often for two reasons...1) the weather. and 2) the fact that when you camp, basically you pay a farmer to use his field. There are retired farmers who put up public washrooms and let you and a dozen others use the field...you pick your spot and give'r. There are no stumps to sit on, and no fire pits allowed, no picnic tables, and no trails for hiking...it's a little odd. Also, these people have no Graham crackers!!! Which means, dun dun dun...no S'mores!!! We were able to find some digestive crackers, and some mini marshmallows, which were both strawberry and white mixed together - and we made S'mores the Irish way. We also changed their name to Schwamies...as we couldn't call t hem s'mores, it would have been wrong.

Anyway, the evening was beautiful, we got ice cream and cooked some meat on a disposable barbecue...which is another difference, and then we finally simmered down and went to bed...and then the rain came --

The rain, oh the hard crashing hail-like rain pelting the tent for 13 hours! We were flooded from the bottom and the top, and had no mattresses to speak of. Our bags and clothes were wet, no one slept all night, and the worst part, there was no where else to go. It was a very sad time. I almost cried....and I did, later.

So, we played some poker in the tent, Dave, Aaron, Tash, Bradley, Beth and myself, (Aaron and Dave go to school with Natasha, and are very kind. Dave is currently my favorite person in the UK) and tried to wait out the wet...which didn't happen. Around noon, we had to check out, and we had planned to go on a hike, so we gathered our soaking stuff, tore down the drenched tent, and headed for the Mourne mountain path that we were still set on climbing.

Now I'm not going to lie. I've have several very poor sleeps on this trip, and I was tired, and now, I was cold and wet...and if there is one feeling I hate it's being cold, and then add being wet so that every time the wind blows you feel more and more cold - well, I was not in the mood to climb anything - let alone a mountain. I know that Bethany was also tired, and we kept looking at each other thinking "why not just go back home?"

But climb we did. We went over rocks, we found rough plains, and about 45 minutes later we reached the base of the mountain. Then we climbed up. But the whole time it was raining!! The grass was slippery, and we kept finding dead sheep heads everywhere! I was so so tired, and angry that they didn't care. What a bad mood I was in. However, I kept going, because even worse than being cold and wet and climbing a mountain is to be the only one who didn't make it and was left alone in the cold rain on the side of the mountain to wait...that would have been very sad.

Well, I kept slipping in the mud and getting caught on prickly bushes (which are EVERYWHERE here in Ireland) and, finally, finally, we reached the top! I should have felt bliss, I know, however, I was so tired by this point, that all I could think about was the rain on my head, the wind at the top (which was much worse than at the bottom - let me tell you) and the fact that we still had to make it all the way down before this nightmare was over. My my, It was steep and slippery and I cried. Oh how I cried, because no one else seemed to be having such a bummer of a time. So, finally Tash, bless her soul, came and held my hand, and we went down together. She kept asking me questions about all sorts of things to get my mind off the task at hand, and she would keep me from falling - most of the time. Thanks Tash.

At the bottom, we found the car, raced the hour drive home, showered (blissfully) and ate dinner. We watched a movie together, and the I crashed...for about 13 hours. I don't even know what happened in between that time. I was sleeping. And I loved it.

Well, the next day, we had planned to go into Belfast by Train or bus, but our good friend Party Dave decided to offer his services, and he drove us all around the city, showed us sights like the crown bar (in the movie Titanic), queens university (which is a gorgeous old building with history galore), we drank a pint in the John Hewitt (i had a pop - yay me!) and we found Belfast castle, which we explored and then sat in for a while. It was a lovely day, and we were grateful for the chance to see things from a first hand view instead of our own touristy eyes.

Next morning, we were supposed to go on this huge tour all around North Ireland, which went to the Giant's Causeway, the Swinging bridge, Dunluce castle, and somewhere else...anyway, we slept in. Tash's phone alarm didn't go off, and none of us even have watches, let alone, phones, and so we missed the train to the bus, and we missed the tour bus consequently...very sad day...until Party Dave came to save us! He gave up doing homework to drive us all the way north, show us all of the major sights, spend the day with us, and just have a good time. We very much appreciated him and he has a standing invitation to come to Canada ANYTIME and we'll show him around. What a kind gesture - as he was swamped with homework.

So, we saw Giants causeway, which is a really cool place with rocks that are formed by lava into very standard geometric shapes. I can't even describe it, so you'll have to wait for pictures. But it was a wonderful walk along the coast with the cool rocks and the waves smashing up onto the beach...lovely. That's when it started to rain (which we expected, but still hate) and we decided to head off to Dunluce castle, which is basically a bunch of old remains of a castle. It's built right on the edge of a hill and reminds me of a time when war must have been a way of life for everyone. Very harsh looking building...but here's where I decided that Ireland must hate me.

After having such a crappy time camping, here at Dunluce castle, I was hoping to have more luck, but no. I fell. I fell! I slip down a muddy embankment and crashed with my head and back right in the mud. Of all the luck (though, Dave and Brad both agreed that if it was to happen to anyone, it would have been me... :) ) Anyway, I was so wet, and so sad, and once again it was raining, and we had just done laundry and now had to do it again...Shame. Really.

Afterwards, we went for ice cream - which made me a little happier because I love love love ice cream, and Beth and I bought a really cool dessert too, called Banoffee, made of Graham crust, (or something like it), Banana and Caramel center, and a wonderful whipped cream top! Too good to pass up.

When at home, I washed my clothes - AGAIN - and crashed for the night.

Today, we packed up, and went to the bus. We said bye to Tash, and went forth to Dublin. Dublin so far is much bigger than Belfast, but it's far more industrial. We found a Tim Horton's, but it's way too expensive! A medium coffee would be the equivalent of 3.50 Canadian dollars...outrageous!! So, no Timmy's for us here.

The hostel is crazy night and tomorrow we'll be touring the Guinness factory - so looks like more fun is in the horizon. I just hope that South Ireland is more friendly than North Ireland.....

No comments:

Post a Comment