Monday, May 25, 2009

Arriving in Athens

So, we haven't been in Athens too long, but I think these posts are getting longer and longer, so I'm going to try and write more often so they aren't so daunting, at least here in Greece where the computer keyboards are more normal.

So, we flew into Athens right around noon. According to our information, we only had to jump on a train and it would take us almost right to our hostel...however, true to form, the track was being worked on, so we had to take a different train to a bus station, and then a bus to a second train station, and then the train we were meant to take. It was a little convoluted, but we got there ok. The hostel (Zeus hostel) is mostly clean except for the bathrooms, and is brightly coloured...we have a lime green door to our room. The good news is that they're only rooms for 4 and because we are a group of three, unless some random single comes along, we should be alone for a while, which I appreciate. Especially when we've been getting up earlier and earlier so we can beat the lines. The cost was ok, and we're only here for 4 nights before we jump onto a fairy to Santorini anyway.

As soon as we checked in, we went right out to explore and get our barings so that we didn't miss out on anything and didn't waste time. I had been warned about some of the men here, and although we thought Turkey was bad, Greece is creepier. Right when we stepped out of the hostel, A guy walked buy and hissed at us (like in the carribean), and there have been whistles, and cars stopping and boys popping out their heads to say "hi". I really hate agressive men, and I don't see what's attractive about hissing, so these boys are out of luck, but I guess I should have remembered the warning so I could have been more prepared, regardless, we've got it under control now.

So Athens is pretty cool I guess. It's a little dirty and there isn't a lot to do with the exception of the obvious historic monuments. We did find a market, or several, some filled with trendy stuff, and some with old junk that shouldn't even be sold at a garage sale. We found some really cool jewlery that is obviously hand made and really really neat, but these people don't barter so whatever price they tell you is it. Some might take a Euro or two off, but it's not like the Bazaar. There are a few connections to Turkey though, like the Greek delight, and the Greeck baclava, and they have the good Halva here too. Actually in a ton of cool flavours, and Greek coffee. IN Turkey everyone claimed that all of this was their invention, and here in Greece, it's obviously the greeks who invented everything, so clearly there is a little misunderstanding about who can put their name on what product. It's quite funny.

Basically we walked around, shopped a bit, and got our barings that first day. We decided to do the Acropolis the next day because you have to do there really early to beat the lines. So, we bought a bag of cherries (because fruit here is relatively cheap if you buy from a vendor) and we took a nap in a park. Unfortunately, during the day I did get a bit of a sunburn...the temperatures in Istanbul were about 20 degrees as a max and they were sometimes cloudy. When we got to Athens it was 33 degrees Celcius and not a cloud in the sky. Yes, yes I'm lucky to see the sun as everyone in Canada is praying it in (though I've heard things have taken a turn for the better finally), but the drastic change was too much for my skin, and for our bodies in general. We needed some killer sized water bottles!

After the nap is was late afternoon, we hadn't eaten lunch yet, so we stepped in for a dinner/lunch to a nice little Greek cafe. Fresh Greek salads, with nice veggies, and olive oil. Delish. Of course I got a sandwhich, but Beth and Brad were pretty stoaked about the order!

We headed back to the hostel, and when we got there, I heard some singing from somewhere...I thought it was upstairs, but it was "light of the world". So, of course, I am curious. Bethany and Bradley were tired so I left them in the room and went to investigate. I went all the way up and down our building, but they weren't there, until I figure it out...they were across a courtyard, and I couldn't see them. So, I left the hostel and ran around the corner and down some sketchy dirty back alley, and I thought "i'll either be mugged or killed or i'll find the church". And through some boarded up building, there was a metal door and the deadbolt was open...but the whole thing was sketchy to me. I mean, what if it wasn't the church but some one's business and I was trespassing??? But thank heavens, I found a church up the stairs!!! I nice church with happy Brazillian speaking people! A few noticed that I'd entered, and no one spoke english except one woman who offered to interpret for me...but she was Ethipoian, and could speek Greek as well, so she actually had the servcice interpreted to her, and then she passed on the message to me, and she breastfed her almost two year old at the same time...very odd experience! But, the messages were great, and I was truly reminded of how God can work in such funny ways.

Today we woke up super early and did the Acropolis, and every other major site you can see in Athens. We saw an old Library, and tons of old ruins, and I'd need a map to tell you their names, but trust me, they were cool and old. We did end up getting some wonderful pictures at some ruins, and had a lot of fun. We also bought tickets to see Aida or Aeida? in the old historic theater of Dyonisus which should turn out to be awesome. I can't wait. But it's not for a few days still. Other than that, we got wasted on the sun, which was even hotter today than yesterday...I'll say 35? And we booked fairy's to take us to Santorini and Ios, which are next on the list. Tomorrow will be a beach day, but today I think we're pooped!!!

Catch you later with some fun stories. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment